1. Reasons why we are doing this study:
2. Mormon missionaries convert 310,000 people every year!
3. 80% of converts come from protestant backgrounds
4. 52,000 full time missionaries
5. 12,000,000 members
6. BYU project that the Mormon Church to grow to 256 million worldwide by 2080
1. The Origin of the Mormon Church
2. Four False Teachings of the Mormon Church
3. Evidence the Book of Mormon Cannot be the Word of God
4. Witnessing to Mormons.
I. THE ORIGIN OF THE MORMON CHURCH
Founded by Joseph Smith
Joseph Smith confused and in disagreement with the denominational churches of his day.
Found James 1:5: If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach,
and it will be given to him.
According to Joseph Smith, God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him there in the forest
Reasons why it’s so important to know the Bible.
1. John 1:18: “no man has seen God at any time…
2. John 4:24: “God is Spirit”
3. Numbers 23:19 “God is not Man”
According to Joseph Smith, God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to him there in the forest and supposedly informed him that…
1. “the churches were all wrong”
2. “their creeds were an abomination”
3. “their professors were all corrupt”
Joseph Smith alleges that “a glorified resurrected being” named Moroni, appeared to him and told him of golden plates
These plates were written by an ancient prophet-historian by the name of Moroni, and contained a record of an ancient people who had migrated from the near east to the Americas in 600 B.C
Joseph Smith says that he was forbidden by Moroni from revealing these golden plates to anybody lest he be destroyed
The Book of Mormon “Another Testament of Jesus Christ”
Book is made up of 15 books
Claims to be an abridged account of God’s dealing with inhabitants of America in 600 BC to 421AD
Book of Mormon teaches that after his resurrection, Jesus came to:
1. Came to America
2. Perform miracles
3. Chose 12 men to be American disciples
Brigham Young took over leadership
Relocated to Salt Lake City, Utah
Known as “The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints”
II. FOUR UNBIBLICAL TEACHINGS
1. The Mormon Church’s View of God
Polytheistic religion: existence of more than one god.
Mormon Church denies the teaching of the trinity of God: Father, Son, Holy Spirit
2. The Mormon’s Church’s View of Man
The Mormon Church says that humans are gods “in embryo” and may attain exaltation to godhood just as our Heavenly Father has.
According to Mormon teaching, God and man are of the same “species”
Mormons believe that all man preexisted in heaven
“The Lord created you and me for the purpose of becoming Gods like himself…We are created to become Gods like unto our Father in Heaven.”
3. The Mormon Church’s View of Jesus
Mormon teaching says that Jesus was one of many sons who were procreated in Heaven by Elohim and one of his many unnamed wives.
These sons, according to the Mormon Church, included Lucifer (Satan) himself.
4. The Mormon Church’s View of Salvation
Christ’s death on the cross brings about a general salvation for all mankind
Mormon Church teaches that to experience individual “exaltation” in Heaven one must have repented, been baptized in the Mormon Church, and lived a life of obedience to the laws and teachings of the Mormon Church.
Christ’s work is merely the beginning of salvation. Human works are needed to complete the process.
Three different levels in Heaven:
1. Celestial (the highest, for faithful Mormons)
2. Terrestrial (the middle, for “less than valiant Mormons” and morally upright non-Mormons)
3. Telestial (the lowest, for those who were carnal and sinful throughout life )
Hell is a temporary place
4 books that Mormons believe is the word of God
1. Bible(Mormons believe it is corrupted)
2. Book of Mormon
3. Doctrine and Covenants(revelation’s of Joseph Smith)
4. Pearl of Great Price
III. PROBLEMS WITH THE BOOK OF MORMON
S.C.A.R.E.D. 6 PROBLEMS OF THE BOOK OF MORMAON
1. S: contradicts Scripture
a. Bible: Jesus was born in Bethlehem, Mormon: Jesus was born in Jerusalem
b. Bible: Christians after Paul’s ministry; Mormon: this title know in 73BC
c. Bible: descendants of Levi could be priests; Mormon: descendants of Manasseh were priests
2. C: Enormous Change
a. More than 4,000 changes made to the Book of Mormon since 1830
b. If the Book of Mormon is “the most correct of any book on earth,” as Joseph Smith said, and if the golden plates were truly translated letter by letter “by the power of God” by Joseph Smith, there would have been no need for any changes!
c. Examples: •The original version at 1 Nephi 11:21 says that Jesus is “the eternal Father.” Today’s version says (in the same verse) that Jesus is: “the Son of the eternal Father.” •The original version at Mosiah 21:28 says that “King Benjamin had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings.” Today’s version says (in the same verse) that “King Mosiah had a gift from God, whereby he could interpret such engravings.”
3. A: Archaeological Verification
a. Not one piece of evidence has ever been found to support the Book of Mormon
4. R: Rips off Thousands of words from other sources
a. Book of Mormon contains extensive plagiarism.
b. Borrowing 27,000 words from the King James Bible
c. the golden plates he supposedly translated in 1830, were originally penned way back between 600 B.C. and A.D. 421
d. Bible that was written in Old English and wasn’t even published until 1611, more than a 1,000 years later
5. E: Errors (scientific)
a. There was a migration of Hebrew people to the Americas
b. Laminates: are the principal ancestors of the American Indians.”
c. Archaeologists, anthropologists, and now DNA experts, have reached a consensus: The Native American Indians were not,
and are not, related to the Hebrew people as the Book of Mormon claims.
6. D: Deceitful False Prophet
a. In September of 1832 Joseph Smith claimed that the Lord told him that the latter-day Saints would build the New Jerusalem and its temple in Zion, Missouri, during his generation.
b. On May 6, 1843, Joseph Smith made this prophecy: “I prophesy in the name of the Lord God of Israel, unless the United States redress the wrongs committed upon the Saints in the state of Missouri and punish the crimes committed by her officers that in a few years the government will be utterly overthrown and wasted, and there will not be so much as a potsherd left . . .”
SHARING THE TRUTH WITH MORMON
1. Greet them Lovingly
2. Listen to their presentation
3. Tell them you have already looked into the Book of Mormon
4. Tell them you ran into a few problems with the Book
5. Go and pray and get a list of the questions
6. (attached list of questions)
QUESTIONS TO ASK MORMONS
1. Can you show me archeological or historical proofs from non-Mormon sources that would prove that the peoples and places named in the Book of Mormon actually existed?
2. I’ve read where Joseph Smith said that he translated the golden plates (from which he got the Book of Mormon) letter-by-letter, “by the power of God” and that it was “the most correct of any book on earth.” If that’s true why has the Mormon Church had to make more than 4,000 changes to the Book of Mormon that was originally published in 1830?
3. I read in Doctrine and Covenants 84:1-5 where Joseph Smith prophesied that the New Jerusalem and a temple would be built in Zion, Missouri in his generation. Does the Mormon Church still teach that Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God after he made a false prophecy?
4. In the last couple of years, Mormon scholars, and scientists have discovered powerful DNA evidence that has proven that the American Indians are not descendants of the Jewish race (as the Book of Mormon claims in its introduction), but the Asian race. How does your church respond to this scientific evidence?
5. Why does the Book of Mormon state that Jesus was born in Jerusalem (Alma 7:10) when history and the Bible state that he was born in Bethlehem (Matthew 2:1)?